Friday, June 24, 2011

Day Journal 8


Today began just the way I  like best, 
my dear husband bringing me a cup of coffee to wake me up.  
Soon, the majority of the family was off to church with Daddy, so
Olivia and I enjoyed our quiet time on the porch in the sunshine.  
I gave myself until 9 am to be still; time to think, pray, and read the Scriptures.
Then we set off to do a bit of housework.

After the first 8 children,
our original backpack baby carrier gave up the ghost.
  I am glad to now have an Ergo baby carrier. 
It is quite comfortable.
An Ergo can be worn front style as well as backpack. 
Olivia likes it. 
She is one of those people- persons, and would prefer to be doing something with you
than on the floor by herself-
an extravert at almost 7 months old.


After the initial housework and laundry, it is time to make granola. 
I have already posted this recipe, but will do again anyway. 
I have tried several different recipes and this one is simple, 
takes less weird ingredients, and I like the results better. 
I always make a double batch, of course, and it goes quickly enough.  
Very  frugal and easy to make:
GRANOLA
In a large bowl:
1 1/2 cups wheat or oat bran
8 cups oatmeal
1 1/2 tsp salt
In a saucepan:
1 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Heat to a boil, pour over oat mixture, spread in cookie sheet.  Bakes for 20 minutes at 325, cool, add dried fruit if you wish, and you are done.




Now Olivia is at the stage of development where she needs to be taught to sit still. 
This kind of training we begin for short amounts of time everyday, 
then increase the time gradually as she gets the idea.  
We call this blanket training. 
It has come in so handy with all the other children.  
From a very early age they will sit well on a blanket 
at church or when ever you need them to be in one spot for a while,
contentedly playing for up to an hour. 
She is still getting used to sitting up,
and all went really well until she lost her balance and tumbled over on her head. 
We will try again tomorrow.



Next I was off to begin dinner plans while Olivia was napping.
  My husband loves sourdough bread, so I had a round loaf all ready for dinner.
But it looked lonely and kind of plain. 
Bread is good for you, I am thinking,
so it must be extra good for you with a half pound of butter, a head of garlic- chopped, 
and some grated cheese, right?
  Right! 
First I sliced the bread one direction, not quite all the way through,
then I turned it the other way and sliced it nearly all the way through again.
  Then I stuck the cheese in all the crevices while the butter melted on the stove with the garlic in it. 
When that was complete, I poured the butter over the bread 
and popped the whole thing in the oven to toast up a bit. 
The results were fabulous, although slightly artery clogging. 


 After dinner, we enjoyed the beautiful evening with a stroll down the driveway. 
Soon enough it was time for daddy to read "We're going on A Bear Hunt" to the littles,
and then bedtime.

From our home to yours, or where ever your abode is tonight, 
Grace and Peace be upon you.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a little piece of your day with us. :-) Have a blessed weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julianne...bread is always good for you with most about anything ;-)

    I use to carry my little ones the same way. I believed that the more I held them, this made them feel secure.

    Thank you for sharing this. It brings back so many memories of my little ones...

    Grace & Peace to you today and always,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Testify!: as recipients of both the general and specific revelation of your cooking...both recipes exceed expectations amd qualify for the coveted..."Mr.Berard will eat that" award. Thank you for the samplers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julianne
    Loved the beautiful pics of Olivia. She has grown so much!

    What is your definition of "still" when on the blanket? Can she move about as long as she is on the blanket, can she play with something or is it just she and her thoughts, sitting still and keeping quiet?

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...