Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Speaking Life


"Death and life are in the power of the tongue."
  Proverbs 18:21

This verse is written on the white board. 
Under it, I also wrote, as much a reminder to myself as to the children,
"Choose your words carefully.  Think: am I speaking life?"

Words give life to our very souls.
We want to teach our children to understand that their speech can foster harm or health. 
Psalm 34:12-13, one of the three rules in our home says: 
"Whosoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days,
keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies." 

Sarcasm and complaining are two negative habits that lead to death.
  The Greek word for sarcasm literally means, "tearing flesh."
If we use sarcasm in the home,
our caustic words 
rip at the hearts
of the one we speak to, 
and 
shred apart
who they are. 
I know this well, having a fresh experience with it just the other day.
 I used a sarcasitc coment, thinking it would be funny, 
but to my horror, the person I spoke to sort of wilted, obviously not seeing any humor in it at all. 
I had already been contemplating this verse, and the lesson smarted. 
As it should. 
I was out of line, and I hope I can always recall how terrible I felt,
so that I can avoid such statements in the future.


For further contemplation, I have a list of verses to ponder...
perhaps to write out on 3 x 5 cards and place around the house to be reminders.
 
Prov. 16:23 "A wise man's heart guides his mouth, and his lips promote instruction."
Prov. 16:24 " Pleasant words are a honey comb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones."
Prov. 10:20 " The tongue of the righteous is choice silver..the lips of the righteous nurish many."
Prov. 13:2 "From the fruit of his lips a man enjoys good things."
Prov. 13:3 "He who guards his lips guards his soul, but he who speaks rashly will come to ruin."
Prov. 13:14 "A gentle answer turns away rath, but harsh words stir up strife."
Prov. 25:11 "A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."

Practice words of life:

I love you.
I am proud of you. 
I accept you. 
God loves you.
  I am sorry.  
Please forgive me. 
Great job! 
I forgive you.
You are such a blessing.  
You are a treasure.
  I knew you could do it!
  You are beautiful. 
I am so thankful for  you.

"The good we could do in our homes with our tongues
if we would use them to the utmost limit of their capacity is simply impossible to compute.  
Especially why should we ever pervert these gifts and use our tongues to do evil,
to give pain, to scatter seeds of bitterness?" 
J.R. Miller, Homemaking pp 183

"Reckless words pierce like a sword,
but the tongue of the wise brings healing." 
Prov. 12:18
 
Am I speaking life, or death?

5 comments:

  1. This post speaks "life!"

    Well said, thanks for the reminder and encouragement!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to tell you how much I LOVE your blog.. I just found it not too long ago and have been pulled in by you words and pictures. I have been encouraged and inspired from reading your blog and God has spoken to my heart many times.. I am currently planning to get married in the upcoming September and for a long time wanted only to be a career woman however God has carefully and quietly turned my heart in another direction and I am excited to see where it will take me with my new soon to be husband. I have recieved much encourgment from your blog in this area.. Thank you for sharing.. May God bless you and your family!!! Hope your enjoying that snow.. I am so ready for us to get some! :0) Francine

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a powerful post! Thanks for sharing your own moment of weakness; it helps to know I'm not alone in my struggle to control my tongue. The hardest thing for me, however, is my tone of voice. I remember a time not long ago when all I did was say the name of one of my sons, but the manner in which I did it made him wilt. He had carelessly done something wrong, but my harsh voice did not help the situation. If only there were a rewind button when it comes to what I say!

    Along with all the verses you shared, the quote from J.R. Miller is very helpful, too. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been going through a rough patch lately with my tone of voice. Thank you for the encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for that wonderful post. I really could learn some of that wisdom. So many times my words don't build people up. Love you

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...