Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Jesus, I am Resting


 I  have been contemplating what it means to rest in Jesus,
and this sweet old hymn came to mind over and over. 

                                        Jesus, I am resting, resting, in the joy of what Thou art;
                                             I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.
                                  Thou hast bid me gaze upon Thee, and Thy beauty fills my soul,
                                      For by Thy transforming power, Thou hast made me whole.


                                      What does this look like in the day of a mom of many,
with likely no length of time to sit at the feet of Jesus in undisturbed solitude?  
By taking every thought captive,
making the most of every moment,
I can concentrate on my Lord and Savior in the midst of household tasks, children or distress.
The Lord promises He will gently lead those with young,
if we but look for Him and walk with Him each step of the way. 

Hanging clothes on the line, I can thank the Lord for each child as I hang their clothes,
praying for them regarding their day. 
Thanking Him for washing me and making me clean.

                                  Changing a diaper I can thank the Lord for his cleansing work in my life
and pray that He will do the same work in the baby’s soul.
   I can recall what or where I would be without His cleansing forgiveness in my life.

                             Even wiping a snotty nose can become a moment to praise the Lord
for taking the everyday icky out of my life, 
and remind me not to resist Him like the baby resists my simple act of help to him.

                                               I am resting in Jesus when He is my vision.

  His character traits, His names before me through out my day,
 remind me and help me turn my eyes on him. 

 

 O how great Thy loving kindness, vaster broader than the sea!
O how marvelous Thy goodness, lavished all on me!
Yes, I rest in Thee, Beloved, know what wealth of grace is Thine,
Know Thy certainty of promise, and have made it mine.


Simply trusting Thee, Lord Jesus, I behold Thee as Thou art,
And Thy love so pure so changeless, satisfies my heart;
Satisfies the deepest longings, meets, supplies its every need,
Compasseth me round with blessings:  Thine is love indeed!

                                      Rest is not just a physical state, it is more a focus and trust.
Counting blessings several times a day, 
small prayers as I notice each gift He has bestowed on me today,
resting is also a state of mind.

                              I think of my dear friend Tracy at The Legend of Thousand Hills Farm.
Her circumstances are less than quiet and peaceful, 
yet she exhibits a serene tranquility even though her home recently burned to the ground
while she and her husband were at the hospital with their very ill newborn who has a serious heart defect.  Baby Jethro will have his second major heart surgery this week. 
It is risky.  But Tracy trusts in the Lord with all her heart. 
She is not anxious, but peaceful. 
 

She knows every day with Jethro is a blessing. 
Whatever happens, Tracy understands and comprehends that God has her best interest in mind and 
she can trust Him with the outcome.
                                                                 She is resting in Him.

 

 Ever lift Thy face upon me as I work and wait for Thee;
Resting neath Thy smile Lord Jesus, Earth’s dark shadows flee.
Brightness of my Father’s glory, sunshine of my Father’s face,
Keep me ever trusting, resting, fill me with Thy grace.

                              I think resting is a lack of anxiety because we are so focused on Jesus,
who He is and what He has done,
that our current circumstances do not affect our peace.
  Revisit the thought that He loves you.
He is smiling at me, singing over you.
He is delighted, simply because you are His child. 
Remember Who He is, and what He has done.
Keep Jesus right before your eyes.  

                                  “I have set the Lord always before me, because He is at my right hand,
I shall not be moved (anxious).
Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices,
my flesh shall also rest in hope.” 
Psalm 16:8,9
 

Dear one,
let go of the worries and stress
and rest in the One who loves you deeply, 
and wants what is best for you.
  He is the trustworthy Friend.
We are not the answer.  He is the Answer. 
He is the Fixer, the Mender of Souls
and the Bridegroom who calls people unto Himself. 
The One who offers peace and rest, if we just turn our eyes and heart on Him.

                                 “Jesus, I am resting, resting, in the joy of what Thou art,
                                          I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.”  








holy experience

3 comments:

  1. A beautiful reflection I needed to read today :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you SuzyQ. May the Lord bless you today with His sweet rest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Julianne, for inviting me by. I am grateful for your reflections upon the many verses of this precious song. As He rains down peace upon us, His rest is the result, the answer, the trust we have in Him. His rest is where we truly need to be. His arms can hold every ounce of our concerns, our families, our love.
    As I think upon these things, Jethro sits upon my heart and will be in my prayers along with Tracy and his family.
    Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...