Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Diary of a Quiverfull Mom: Mastering Breakfast



Faintly I hear the pitter patter of little feet getting closer, closer...
...I strain to attain some sort of consciousness out of the deep, wonderful, life giving,
 (did I say wonderful?) slumber of the night.

Then there she is.  My eyes will not open, try as I might.
  Her eyelashes brush my cheek and suddenly she is kissing me, hugging me,
 like an over friendly cat that wants to be petted. 
 It is 6:09...
A.M.
 I finally get one eye partially open. 

This is my life, and I adore it...most of the time.

Olivia is 3, and very lovey-dovey, in the morning, especially. 
 So, while I try to attain vision and coherence, she reads to me "Blueberries for Sal" 
in typical 3 yr old fashion.  I should have video taped it.
  Priceless.

The inside thermometer reads 61, so Olivia and I head downstairs to start a fire.
  After a few cups of coffee, I am finally fully awake.

 The other 6 children start getting up, and I head to the kitchen to make Wednesday breakfast; 

German pancakes. 


Brian and I believe that breakfast is the most important meal of the day
so we have a healthy cooked meal everyday. 
 Why do I think it is so important? 
 Because it starts the day off well, with a loving atmosphere and both spiritual 
and physical nourishment.
  When we all sit down together, hold hands, pray, and share a good meal, the days plans, 
and Bible reading, we pour the foundation for the day ahead. 

Most of my mothering life, I have delegated cooking breakfast to children, since I am
 A). not a morning person, 
and B).  over the last 22 years have usually have a nursling that needs me first thing in the morning. 

 Currently, I am the breakfast cook instead of the usual dinner cook 
because I have recently found that by the end of the day
 I am just plain too tired to deal with dinner 
and still be a human till bedtime. 
 Anyway,  I have three teenagers that need to learn to cook. 
 Last season, they took care of breakfast quite well and are now moving on to dinners. 
 They each cook two nights a week, leaving me one night,
 and that I have planned to be the weekend, not a school day,
 because I have more energy on non school days.


 It is really so much easier, I have found, to have a daily breakfast plan

 Mine goes like this: 

 Monday- egg casserole,
 Tuesday- hot cereal, 
Wednesday-German Pancake,
 Thrusday- Gluten free pancakes, (Bob's Red Mill)
 Friday- Oatmeal,
 Saturday- fried potatoes and eggs,
 Sunday- granola.



Like I said, I am not a morning person, but this meal is so important,
 it is worth the extra effort.



5 comments:

  1. Julianne,

    I am definitely not a morning person either. I like to wake up on my own, but that can be a bad habit to fall into.

    When I had children, they ALL seemed to be morning people. And I quickly learned that if I wanted a quiet time alone, I would need to get up before the littles.

    Breakfast has always been a challenge for me. I would either do great making pancakes, oatmeal, egg casserole, cinnamon rolls, or cinnamon biscuits for a few months and then fall of the wagon and resort to cold cereal.

    Thanks for the boost and inspiration. I need to get back to planning each morning and having it the same each week. I like that idea.

    I do think breakfast is important and I wish we could sit as a family. Larry has to be at work at 6am. We would have to eat at 5am and I don't think I could do that!! It is a blessing to have your husband be there to start the day.

    Thanks for the update and pictures. I glean a lot from you and your family.

    By Grace Alone,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love breakfast, but don't always like to make breakfast!

    I do want to get better at it - we've always done, make your own breakfast. - but I want to make a menu and plan the meals out.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kim,
    I always hope that sharing my own experience may be inspiring to someone!
    While Brian is not always able to be here for breakfast, it is wonderful when he is, truly a blessing since he can have some pretty long days, getting home after bedtime.
    Blessings to you and yours, and many happy breakfasts to come. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna,
    I am with you!! Isn't making breakfast sort of like childbirth...don't want to do it, but rewarding when it is done? (chuckle)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Breakfast at your home sounds good. We rarely ever eat breakfast at home but when we are camping it is a daily must! I also like the way that your kids are helping you with the cooking. I get so tired of cooking and cleaning.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...