Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Loving The January Thaw



Nearly every January we get a little mid winter break known as "the January thaw".
  Newcomers think it is spring, 
but alas, no,
 winter is only half over. 
 It's just a week (or two if we are lucky) of above freezing temperatures
 that cause the snow to melt, the rivers become brimming full, and, rapturously,
 the sun shines. 
(outstanding news for us off grid folks!!)

 We are loving the thaw this year!
  It has been a bit longer than usual, and although the snow is not ALL gone, it is mostly gone,
 and that is enough to get all the girls out.



Happy, happy hens!




The children are out and about in the woods too, 
and I have to drag them back in with the dinner bell to finish their lessons each afternoon. 
They are scouting for antler sheds, slaying imaginary foes,
 basking in the sunshine,
 wandering aimlessly through the woods.

This is just what Ben was doing when he saw something, and that something triggered his creativity.

What goes through a boys mind when he spies a half rotten tree stump? 





Why, a bivouac shelter for a few soldiers shot down behind enemy lines, of course!




Thus engaged, his imagination ran wild with the adventures for days on end. 
 Ahhh, the mind of a ten year old!




 Ben and Gabe also whittled log boats which they have been floating down our little seasonal creek for hours at a time. (I should have taken a picture!)

 I have enjoyed getting out for a few walks in the woods. 
 On my first outing, I saw a little herd of elk and about a dozen deer. 

Bethany, Gabe and Olivia spend most of their outside time
 sloshing through puddles and chasing chickens. 
(chuckle)

 Joe and Jim have come up empty so far in the antler search, 
but we three will all surely be vying for who finds the biggest shed, who finds the most sheds, 
and who finds the first shed!  
The snow is likely to return and postpone our sport,
 but in the meantime 
we are sure enjoying the warmer weather, the mud puddles, the pungent forest,
 and  glorious sunshine!



7 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I came across your lovely blog last week, and Ive gone back to read from the beginning! SUCH an encouragement. I cannot even tell you! And such a lovely life and family. I do hope you continue to post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Emily, that is very encouraging to me, and welcome! How did you "find us?"

    warmly, Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the Paratus Familia blog! And I have NO idea how I landed there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, that is funny! Enola is a dear friend with a terrific blog. She is one wise woman, and one of the best cooks I know.
    It is nice to "meet" you, may you be blessed and encouraged here.

    Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to know that since I just purchased her cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, That is a great cookbook! Enola's doughnuts, (pg 87) are THE BEST! We also love her spicy bacon vinaigrette (pg 208). She has a few of my recipes in there, and the book is a good read, as well as a reference/cook book. I am sure you will love it. You've really gotta try the doughnuts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw when going back on YOUR blog a post with the donuts as a Saturday morning breakfast. I thought they looked delicious, and I saw you linked the recipe to her! (I must say I especially love your Saturday posts!)

    I copied down your recipe for Italian Chicken w/ the fettuccine noodles. Haven't made that yet, but YUM! It looked so good. Of course anything served on your porch would be wonderful, I am sure!!!

    Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...