Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Molasses Cookies

It’s just me and my heartburn, spending the night together, 
way past time to be in bed asleep.
I listen to the rain dance on the roof,
pray for my children,
for their future spouses, 
for loved ones far and wide. 
Songs whispered in the dark keep me company,
until children coughing from upstairs interrupt my thoughts. 
Everyone is succumbed to a nasty cold, except myself. 
So much so that Gabe has taken to mimicking the sneezing going on, 
toddling around the house saying, “Achoo, meme” (Excuse Me). 
The littlest punkins are feeling some better, but still inclined to mama’s lap.
Or Anna’s.  She is such a nurturing soul. 
All in all, the house is a bit hushed with so many feeling under the weather. 
There is not quite so much running and chasing as usual,
a brief benefit of having sore throats.


My sweet husband spent his day off getting wood in
and making us a superb drying rack for the laundry room. 
I am very excited about it, it is just what I had been dreaming of, 
well, if I could sleep, I would have dreamt of it. 
Anyway, Ben and Bethany were exuberant helpers with the whole project.
They even fashioned some wooden thingy out of the scraps
in their excitement over using the screw gun. (smile).


Meanwhile, it seemed a fitting day for Molasses cookies, a fall favorite of mine.
  So Grace and I whipped up a batch that was gobbled up as fast as we made them, 
therefore, no photo to set your mouth to watering.
They are soft and moist, plus, molasses is good for you!  
I think they are an ideal afternoon snack on a rainy autumn day.
Molasses Cookies
1 cup, plus 3 Tbsp. butter
1 ¼ cup sugar
¼ cup molasses
1 egg
2 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
¾ tsp. cloves
Cream together butter, sugar, molasses and egg.  Mix in dry ingredients, stirring thoroughly.  Form dough into 1 inch balls, roll in sugar, and place on large cookie sheet.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 7 or 8 minutes, while still soft. For a family our size, we double the recipe.

From our neck of the woods to yours,
I pray you are enjoying every minute of each day that the Lord has given you.
"Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him and bless his name.  For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth endureth to all generations." Psalm 100:4,5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...