Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day Journal 4



Babies are so much fun. 
Olivia is smiling, goo-ing, and spending most of her time being adorable.
She is already 8 weeks old!  

We had a busy weekend with three of our children involved in a Bible Quiz competition, 
which Brian, myself and Olivia traveled to watch. 
If you are not familiar with Bible Quizzing, 
it is a fun and innovative way to hide God's Word in your heart. 
Designed for children 9-19, teams of 5-7 persons compete to answer questions
or quote verses in a timed match. 
This year, they are memorizing the book of John. 
Each team member learns select chapters,
so that the entire book is covered,
then, when they compete, quizzers jump to answer quickest.  
After the match, we enjoyed a fellowship dinner together with the other teams and their families.
  I took a beautiful salad, that I wish we would have taken a photo of, but didn't. 
It was such a hit, however, that I want to tell you about it. 
It is called, Chinese Chicken salad,
made for a crowd with a bag of baby spinach,
a pkg of chicken breasts- cooked with salt and pepper and chopped,
a can of mandarin oranges, drained,
water chestnuts, drained, 
a bag of Chinese noodles, 
and topped with most of a bottle of sesame ginger salad dressing.

Yesterday, Brian took Bethany on a date to the children's museum,
and afterward rode the escalator,
which was very exciting. 
Our children don't get out much.


Today was spent getting Brian and Anna ready to leave to go to Mars Hill, Seattle, 
for a week of Redemption Group training. 
I am trying not to think of how much I will miss them. 
A Redemption group  helps people who have been abused or are bound by addictions 
realize healing and hope. 
Brian and Anna will be learning how a Redemption Group functions,
and how to help the troubled souls they will encounter. 
Anna enjoys all aspects of ministry.
Her gifts of compassion and mercy have led her to
  see the great need  to know how to Biblically advise hurting girls, 
which she runs into everywhere;
be it as a camp counselor,
a joy club teacher, 
Bible study leader,
or just a friend. 
 


 Here at home, the rubber band war rages on.
They have even come up with a lego gun, and a  wooden rubber band gun that Gabe can fire.  
You may be a redneck if your two year old has his own gun.

  Now that the family is over all the illnesses,
I am looking forward to catching up on some visiting,
and baking bread to take to our neighbors. 
One of my new year's resolutions is to be a better neighbor. 
My plan is to initiate friendship/hospitality in some fashion once every month. 
(I have to have a plan, or else my good intentions
may very well get lost in the day to day activities of our large family.) 
 I have been inspired by a book I am reading,
Feminine Appeal, by Carolyn Mahaney.
But alas, my babe is squealing and I will have to tell you all about it another time.

Until then, may the Lord richly bless you!


   
 

1 comment:

  1. Julianne,
    Again I am enjoying your posts. The horse caught my eye. It is a Fjord, isn't it? Do you have one now? I love those horses...so gentle yet so strong.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...