Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Quenching Thirst


Have you ever seen a hot, thirsty dog come upon a pond or mud puddle 
and in a delicate and stately manner sip a drink? 
I didn’t think so.  I haven’t either. 
Really thirsty animals will plunge right into the water up to their bellies
and drink until they can hardly waddle their way out.

This hot August weather has reminded me of this fact,
with our three dogs following the children to the swimming hole everyday,
they go right in and drink and drink and drink. 
They have no reservedness, no fear, no hesitation.

 

I have been thinking that this is what the psalmist in psalm 46 was thinking when he wrote:
“There is a river, the streams where of shall make glad the city of God,
the Holy place of the tabernacles of the most high. 
God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; 
God shall help her, and that right early.”  verse 4,5

We heard Collin Cambell speak on this verse at an Above Rubies camp a few years ago.
He said, Why be ankle deep in the best water there is when you can wade out in the middle, completely surrounded and even taken in the current.

I want to be like our old Lab, Princess Buttercup
who sees the water for what it is and gets good and soaked. 
Laying aside fear, my to do list, and most importantly, my pride,
I desire to wade in deeply and let the water soothe, quench my thirst, refresh.

 

The key is I have to be willing to get in. 
My extreme thirst has to drive me beyond all other thoughts. 
It will take humility,
a teachable heart,
and a little time to drink deeply.

“Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst for righteousness for they shall be filled.”  Matt. 5:6

 

holy experience

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you visited Julianne. Thank you for your comment. You have such a lovely place here. What a rich, full life you have with all those wonderful children!
    I love your analogy. The best part is that Jesus has promised to quench that thirst that drives us to Him. He is all sufficient.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog, it always makes me think and strive to do better in my walk as a child of God and as a wife and mama! Thank you!

    Love you,
    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, indeed! We truly do need to be teachable with an unquenchable thirst for Him. I love this dog-word picture. It so fits!

    Thank you for your kind words on my post today, Julianne. You encourage me too.

    loving you, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and input are very much appreciate
- Blessings!
Julianne

Living Counter Cultural: Femininity

Popular culture has a decidedly feminist bent.  Recent movies, tv shows and prominent women  are displaying heroins as   to...